Palm Springs | California
My cherry has been popped! I finally visited Los Angeles’ hip little sister city of Palm Springs. With as many vacation destinations as I’ve been to across California, Palm Springs had never been one of them. An easy 2 hour road trip will transport you from the bustling beehive of LA to a flourishing desert oasis with resort style living. Even with sweltering heat, its beautiful. It was 109 degrees fahrenheit and understandably, off season. Palm trees and lush succulents still stood tall as they outlined the streets just beneath the blue and taupe mountains.
Just a few minutes outside of downtown sat our quaint, European style villa. My partner in crime for the weekend, Holli, was just as eager to slip into a bikini as I was. I managed to stuff my overnight bag to the brink of splitting zippers. (Hey, a girl can never bring too many bikini options on vacation. It’s a fact.) So it’s no surprise that local fashion isn’t much of a priority in a small town where temperatures reach such highs…the enthusiastic ovation we got from a crowd of locals as we passed by proved that point. However, notable fashion and travel photojournalists still flock to the area to capture the vintage essence of the city and mingle amongst celebrity festival goers at the many events thrown throughout the year.
Here are a few fun facts and things you can anticipate when traveling to this modern meets mid-century city.
- Nicknamed the Golf Capital of the World – The 100th course was opened in 2001
- The city hosts an array of festivals and events
- Unique landscaping and mid-century modern architecture
- Wet’nWild water park helps to battle the hottest days
- The Palm Springs Aerial Tramway gives you a 12 minute long birds eye view of the city
- It’s going to be hot! Bring light clothing, bikinis, sunnies, a hat and plenty of sunblock.
- Downtown has a number of great restaurants to choose from
- Don’t judge a book by its cover. Some of the coolest places have the most drab facades.
- Kings Highway and The Amigo Room (Ace Hotel) whips up a mean brunch
- Casinos nearby
- Stop in Cabazon to shop at the outlets or snap a pic with the giant California Dinosaurs (as seen in Peewee’s Big Adventure).
Accommodations by Villa Royale Inn
Special Thanks to CLD Style House